I have a question for all you parents, or non-parents if you have an opinion on the subject. What are your thoughts on when and how many shots your child should receive when being immunized? I tend to FREAK OUT over...well, over everything. When I recently took my daughter in, I spoke with the doctor about her receiving only two shots, but she talked me out of it and gave her three, plus an oral vaccine. That afternoon I called the doctor five times because the little one ran a fever, cried her sweet eyes out and both her legs were pretty swollen. At church today I spoke with a member who is a nurse and she told me she won't even let her kids get more than one shot at a time. She also advised having the ROTO and MMR on different days and not combining them with any other vaccines.
There is a lot of garbage on the Internet so I want to trust my doctor, but now I'm a little irritated that she talked me out of two shots at a time when I brought it up. I know I can be paranoid, so I would love to know what you all think.
How do you immunize your children?
13 comments:
I just let the doctor do what he thought was best for my kids. vaccinations are important.
I totally think they're important, but my personal opinion (seriously, take it as just that- my personal opinion!) is that doin 3-4 is too much in that little body. I break them up and sometimes I do 2 at a time, but try to only do one per visit. I don't think most doctors like that, and it's a hassle to go back and forth... but it puts my mind at ease.
I vaccinated both of my girls on time, no questions asked- though I did delay a couple just because of timing issues. But with G I've been a little more careful about doing them individually.
You'll get a whole ton of different opinions and it's one of THOSE things (remember the being induced vs. goin natural debate???) but bottom line is that you're the mom. Trust your gut and don't let anyone else tell you differently. Even if it means changing doctors or talking to someone else. If you're not comfortable, don't cave.
Can't wait to see the war of opinions begin. :) Hope she's feeling better!
Huh. I have no idea about anything with children, I've realized. I didn't know you should maybe only have one shot at a time.
Good questions! I'm totally the same way as far as freaking out about vaccines so I'll be interested to read people's opinions. I actually did everything just as the doctors recommended other than the MMR shot. I asked my doctor if I could hold her off until she was 2 and he was totally fine with that. Some people have given me a hard time about that, but I don't care. I think your doctor should definitely respect your wishes though as far as spacing them out. Even my mom who thinks that mothers today are too freaked out about everything thinks that the number of vaccines they give have gotten way out of control. I'll be checking back to see what people say!
I say look at at all the children that are alive and well today. They probably all got their shots on the same day. Gwyn used to run a fever and be irritable for a few days and they say that is normal. My doctor says if the fever lasts more then 5 days then you should be concerned. It is really sad, but then you only have to put them through the pain once and not over and over again. Give her tylenol an hour before and rub them right after. Also they say to give them a warm bath that night because it helps to sooth the pain. I think that it is just normal motherhood worries. No one wants to see their child in pain. Hope this helps!
I do as many in one visit as they will let me, to get them over with. I sort of love a clingy, achy, Tylenol baby--but only once in a great while. My doctor lets me choose to do them all or spread them out over each visit. I think it's personal preference.
You're the mom, you know best.
I did all the vaccines on time and when scheduled.
I did NOT let them give the babies any vaccines that were in trials (both recent rotovirus vaccines ended up being recalled, and if you continue to exclusively nurse, rotovirus is less of a concern.)
Although there is no link between MMR and autism (proven again and again) I also don't think there's anything wrong with delaying it. Keep in mind that measles, mumps, and rubella have been on the increase in the last few years because people have not been vaccinating, and anytime you delay you take that risk.
Give her Tylenol before, nurse her right after, and she should be fine.
Katie, I have REALLY strong opinions on this one but I'll try and keep it low key.
Do what YOU think is best. I personally agree with your friend at Church but that has to do with my own experiences. Doctors receive a certain amount of financial stimulation in some states to get kids fully immunized by a certain age and so shots are pushed quickly and in large amounts. When I started immunizing Eli, he would get high grade fevers that lasted several days. So, I've now delayed immunizations and I do them a bit at a time. I think that it's way too much for their little bodies to handle everything at once and if a baby does have a severe reaction to one of them, you won't know which one because he/she received so many at one time.
Also, the risks of getting the disease before you finish immunizations on your own schedule is far less than a baby having a severe, possibly dangerous reaction (the research on this and the statistics are available). I've done a lot of research on this because something didn't feel right about it all when I was a new mom.
Now that my kids are older, they are getting immunized and they aren't having any reaction at all. I don't regret waiting one bit.
If something feels wrong about it to you, then do what you feel is right for your baby. And often, your doctor will be wrong on things. You know what is best for your baby better than any one out there.
only vaccinations that are tried and true and are needed for ethan to go to school. but i do as many on one day as i can to get it over with. after a day he is none the wiser. which is not to say that it isn't hard seeing your little one being used as a pin cushion, but it will all be over soon...
Okay...it MAY be sad, but I live my life according to HOUSE. In response to a Mom saying she didn't allow her daughter to be vaccinated, because it was all a conspiracy so the drug companies could get rich, House said this:
"You know another really good business? Teeny tiny baby coffins. You can get them in frog green or fire engine red. Really. The antibodies in yummy mummy only protect the kid for six months, which is why these companies think they can gouge you. They think that you'll spend whatever they ask to keep your kid alive. Want to change things? Prove them wrong. A few hundred parents like you decide they'd rather let their kid die than cough up forty bucks for a vaccination, believe me, prices will drop really fast."
I've been so confused on what to do on this subject.. but I have learned that a lot of doctor's are very resistant to mom's that are iffy on them!
i'm afraid i can't help you with the immunization dilema, but i am here to help you with your blog award.
copy the pic from my blog, or i can e-mail it to you, if you prefer. and yes, you have to answer the questions (with one word).
and, if you want to send me your address, i'll mail you something awesome, so this award can be even more of a prize ;)
One of my friends son had a seizure for 18 minutes after getting the MMR. She believes that caused his Austism, so now she takes a break from 15 months to 3 yrs. Once she starts the shots again, she breaks them up. Only one at a time. It takes longer, but she believes they give too many at a time.
Me, personally have just done what the doctors said. But I think you are the mom, if you don't feel right about something. Stand your ground.
Post a Comment