However, that is all about to change right now, on this blog post, because my insides have started to burn and the opinionated side of me is scratching its way out. Let this be a warning to all of you WHOM I LOVE DEARLY to stop reading this second. Don't continue, shut off your computer or find another blog, because I'm about to go all leftist on yo ass.
Seriously, you know who you are. STOP READING.
Am I going to have to name names? I mean it.
STOP.
For the one or two of you left, I'm just going to throw it right on out there. Just toss it out straight off the bat. Hold on. Are you holding tight? Tighter. I'm an active Mormon who does NOT support and who is absolutely 100% AGAINST Proposition 8. I think it's bullshit. Now, I do admit I've been on the fence here and there about it. I've read articles on both sides of the issue to come to terms with my initial reaction to it and what I'm being told by the leaders of the church I belong to. It's a difficult place to be in, my friends (some of you who should not be reading this blog post because of the potentially awkward conversations at Christmas time). On the one hand, I like my church, I believe in the basic principles of it, I sing primary songs to my daughter, I like the idea of a loving Heavenly Father who doesn't want ANY of His children to go to hell. The LDS church brings me hope in living with my family forever. It's nice, it's peaceful, I like it. On the other hand, their involvement with this issue and the arguments put out in support of Prop. 8 make little sense to me. Like it or not, the whole marriage-only-between-a-man-and-a-woman and civil-unions-are-just-as-good stance sound like good ol' fashion prejudice to me. Not to mention civil unions AREN'T the same as marriages in that civil union couples have no federal rights, like married couples do. Then of course there's the whole fear that children are going to be taught homosexuality in schools, that all religions are going to be sued if they don't support gay marriage, the sky is falling, yadda, yadda, yadda. This is a civil issue and it's about equal rights.
Morris Thurston wrote a great article that addresses the typical arguments people use in support of Prop. 8. Thurston is a BYU graduate and received his law degree from Harvard Law School. It's worth the read.
http://www.mormonsformarriage.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/mat-responses-to-six-consequences-if-prop-8-fails-rev-1-1.pdf
If you're interested in hearing from other LDS members against Prop. 8, go here. If not, that's okay. My blog, my opinion--that's all.
Basically, yes, I disagree with the "church" on this one. I will respect your right to vote yes, if you respect my right to vote no on Florida's Prop. 2. Similarly, I probably would have voted in support of the ERA act, an act which would have granted fair pay to women, even though the LDS church encouraged its members to vote it down, arguing the passing of this amendment would pose a threat to the family. Sound familiar?
Bottom line, we're taught to never follow blindly, we're taught to "search, ponder, and pray." Know that I have, I have many times, and I simply can not support something I don't feel right about.
Whew, I almost feel better now. But, not quite. One more thing. Here it comes. Hang on, let me take a deep breath. Okay.
John McCain and Sarah Palin are starting to REALLY get on my last nerve. What in the dung is THIS about?
SHUUUUUUT UUUUP. Hey McCain, you want my vote? Tell me how your economic plan is going to pull us out of this mess. Convince me your health care plan is better. Explain to me why I can't find a health care company in Florida that will cover pregnancy, or why my neighbor can't find coverage AT ALL because she had preeclampsia with her last baby. Try to focus on issues that matter and quit insulting America's intelligence with your accusations that have NO FACTUAL BASE. And for the love, shut Sarah Palin UUUUP. Her accent makes my ears ring so badly I just drank an entire bottle of Children's Tylenol.
I hope we can all still get along. To prove to you I'm serious, here's a cute picture of a puppy:
40 comments:
Okay I'm not political myself. But really, why isn't polygamy legal? I really do want an answer here. I don't understand why we can't let two women marry the same man if they want to. I mean, I never would because I'd end up in jail for first-degree murder because I'd kill the other ho who married my husband. But what about people who really want to?
I really am curious what people say about this. It's somewhat of a whole different issue, but it's still dealing with marriage.
Wow. I am so over this whole political season that I just. don't. care.
Don't care that much about Prop 8. Nope. Helps that I am not in Cali, although I am still registered to vote there...oops!
Have resigned myself to the fact that Obama will be the next pres (cool that history is being made) and after he gets sworn into office I will go pop me some popcorn and wait until all of the promises he has made to the American people come to fruition.
My ass is going to be HUGE by the time that happens cause.... here is the secret......it aint gunna.
Now, where is the popcorn?
Well, since you have the picture of the puppy, I guess I can love you.
I don't live in California, but I've been reading about Prop 8 all over the bloggy world, so I did my own little research.
Ultimately, I would vote for it. I do believe the church's actual stance on it. My problem comes in with how the church has asked it's members to get involved, issued callings to people in wards in order to support this, asked people to go door to door, etc. I think this is crossing a line, and it makes me VERY uncomfortable.
It's an extremely sticky situation, and it really does put Mormons into a "Bad Mormon" category for not supporting it, which is why the church should not be getting involved in politics.
I know they say it's a moral issue, and if that's the case, then stop with the tax exempt status arguments, and maybe focus on alcohol laws, child abuse laws, etc.
OK, I'm done.
Good question, and honestly, I'm with you on that one. I think it's ironic that so many people in the LDS church use the argument of "Well, if we legalize homosexual marriage that may lead to legalizing polygamy." Ummm...huh? When did it stop occuring to some members that the church actually practiced polygamy? That some men are still sealed to more than one woman? That polygamy will be practiced again?
Yeah, I don't get it. But, whatever. As long as no kids are forced to marry some sick-o.
we will be friends forever!
well, as soon as you wake up from your tylenol coma.
I think I lust for you a little because you don't support Prop 8.
Katie, Ya do me proud! Here's one family member that supports and loves you all the way. I love you so much and I'm so glad you think about the issues and events going on around you. Yes, it's difficult to oppose Proposition 8 and be counted in that crowd of 'non-believers', isn't it? Join the growing crowd.
this is amazing and you've brought me to tears--I love you and I thank you for posting this--cute puppy and all! You were so meant to be my sister . . .
Good for you! I've wanted to go political on my blog for awhile now but I fear my über conservative in-laws too much.
I agree with you wholeheartedly, especially on the fact that Sarah Palin does need to shut the hell up. Simply hearing that woman's voice raises my blood pressure 20 points.
Is it just me or does the guy with the red goatee standing behind Sarah Palin look like he dressed his baby up as a tinfoil coyboy?
cowboy
Huh I thought the kid was dressed up as an elephant.
Oh! He IS an elephant! I must just like cowboys.
I wonder if anyone at the Obama rallys dress up like donkeys?
I still think Palin is hot. I'd do her.
.....But then I may have to vote for Prop 8.....
Dear KT,
Did you watch the Obama infomercial last night? I started to but then my kitty threw up. She can read my mind.
Signed,
Fat Ass
I agree with you 100% and this is a sore spot in my family as well. Kudos to you for stating how you feel! I loved, loved, loved this post. You are awesome!
Okay, since nobody else is going to stand up to you I will! Just kidding. To be honest, I'd actually be a little scared to get in a fight with you. But anyway, I am a little more liberal regarding things like the economy and healthcare, but when it comes to any moral issue I am pretty dang conservative. I love your feistiness and the fact that you don't follow things blindly (I think that's a huge issue with mormons), but if I lived in California I would 100% vote yes on Prop 8. I hope we can still be good cousin-in-laws friends. ;)
Hey Rachel,
Of COURSE we can still be cousin-in-law friends. I was talking to my mom earlier and she mentioned how the people who have commented seem to support me, and I said, "Sure, but most of the people who don't agree won't comment." I admit I've been kind-of...uh...well, a bit harsh in the past, which is why I've tried to stay away from these issues on my blog.
I was kind-of hoping the cute puppy picture made me look less scary. COME ON, IT'S A PUPPY.
oh kt, you are so brave. thanks for having the balls that i don't because my parents read my blog and i just don't want to deal with the emotional backlash of posting something political... i heart your intellect.
Well, I only half support you. I would vote for it, which took a lot of soul searching, but I feel it's an intensely personal decision. It's hard for me because I love my gay friends.
I do have other issues with this whole matter though.
You are so funny! I agree, who cares! You already know I'm a supporter of whomever you love, marry them and have the same rights as everyone else. Same sex or not. Who are we to dictate who someone should fall in love with. Big deal!
i have a draft of a very similar post hiding on my dashboard thingy and i've never been brave enough to post it.
i think proposition 8 is bullshit too. go you for being braver than me.
have you noticed how the church is slowly backing off. they released all the people they called, and recently made a big to do about accepting a petition againt prop. 8 from a bunch of lds californians.
maybe there is hope.
I'm for Prop. 8. I think that MARRIAGE should stay as it is, as it really is, which is between a man and a woman only. I think avoiding the redefinition of marriage is very important to our society. Moral issue, tax exempt issue, whatever. I don't want my kids to be taught about homosexuality as "just another way of life" or see two men or two women as parents and have them taught that that's ok. It's not ok with me.
First we abhor it, then we accept it, and then we embrace it.
**ETA I do not hate gay people. I have gay relatives and friends who I love dearly. However, I do believe that homosexuality as a practice is wrong. Love the person but not the behavior?
You totally wish we were still roommates so we could talk about these things all the time.
I agree with Kristina, I only half support you. I HATE how the church has handled this, bringing up going to the capitol to demonstrate against it, with ALL the impressionable kids they are SO worried about...right there. And why is everyone just focused on CA? They just approved it here in CT like 2 days ago.
In the end, I would have to go along with the prophet...but I wouldn't be okay with it, if that is understandable, and not sure that I could VOTE for it.
I think okay, if "marriage" is SUCH a big all encompassing word, then let them have REAL legal committments, fine not called marriage, but that give them REAL rights. I hate hearing about partners who were together for 40 years and one dies and the family swoops in and takes everything, because gay couples aren't protected in that way. It just really bothers me. If you can FIND happiness, I don't want to be a person to take it AWAY.
I believe in our church and want to protect the sanctity of marriage, but on the other hand, I don't want people screwed over...do I make ANY sense at all?
I want everyone to be able to be happy...just don't know how to make that possible!And I only know 1 real (the other doesn't count...she keeps changing her mind) gay couple...and on here. And like Kristina I love my friends! This SUCKS!
I don't totally agree with you, but since you put up the puppy picture, I can forgive you.
Seriously, I'm glad I'm not in California.
And, personally I'm afraid Todd's Obama pumpkin may do more than the actual guy if he gets elected... but even that seems better than the McCain/Palin team. I think they should have some sort of rule that you have to make at least 1/2 of your promises happen while you're in your first term of office or you can't run again. All the promises KILL me! So I'm with the above poster who said she's going to pop some popcorn and enjoy the next 4 years. Cuz I can't wait to see us get out of debt, cover everyone's healthcare and still not get raised taxes, improve education, get out of Iraq, give everyone equal rights, bail out people losing houses, etc. ect. etc. It's just laughable. But I'll give him that he has a great delivery. He's the best public speaker we've seen... and next to George W- wow.
Ash, you're right. Obama probably can't deliver on all his plans. But to me at least, he's not insulting. I received an add from the McCain campaign yesterday that talked all about Hillary Clinton and what a great lady she is and then somehow tried to compare her to Sarah Palin??? Huh? Does McCain know Clinton supports Obama? Is he aware that she and Sarah Palin are polar opposites (well, they both wear skirts...) Is this yet another way for him to insult my intelligence THREE DAYS before election day? Does he believe I would support him and Palin solely on the basis that Palin is a woman?
I didn't get the add. Not one bit.
It almost seems as if McCain doesn't even WANT to be president.
Um.. DOES Hillary wear skirts?!?
Totally kidding.
I like the idea of a woman in the White House- don't get me wrong. But I just don't think SHE is the one. Quite honestly I think both candidates ads are insulting to the American public's intelligence at this point. Get it over with- I mean, either way we'll still complain about something. PLEASE give the news media a new story. And people, lay off poor Sarah Palin. She didn't know what she was in for, okay? Let her quietly go back to Alaska and continue watching Russia. Poor woman. She's cute, that counts for something, right?
I vote prop 8 and I don't like puppies. Hmmm? Maybe we can settle up by eating one of those Halloween cupcakes and throwing water balloons at ugly people. Yes?
P.S. BOOOOO to the LA Times for not releasing the video, and good for Sarah Palin for calling them out on their crap.
The media is out of control right now, and the cover-up for Obama game continues to irk me.
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=6099188&page=1
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/
Story?id=6099188&page=5
Oh, the conservatives have their media cronies as well; Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, Nancy Grace... It all depends on which papers you read. Plus, in the age of the Internet you can read international publications as well, all of which seem to agree that Sarah Palin is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Any real research on her accustaions against Obama show that the McCain camp is desperately grasping at straws. The ad I received trying to link McCain to Hilary Clinton still makes me squirt water out my nose. Whether or not Obama can come true on all his promises is still to be seen (hopefully he'll have the next four years to show us!), but hell, at least he didn't claim to know where Osama Bin Laden is. Talk about empty promises.
And honestly, do we REALLY believe Obama is a terrorist? If that's the case, we should have bigger issues with our secret service. Sarah Palin and the McCain camp need to talk about what's important and stop trying create fear from making up garbage.
Basically, Sarah Palin reminds me of a high school bitch, and whenever she talks I find myself praying her teeth fall out.
every day i find myself falling more and more in love with you kt. now someone please explain how my love for you threatens the traditional family. :)
Hey KT,
Totally disagree with you, but love you to frickin' death. Thanks for the puppy picture.
Matt
Dear Matt,
You smell like feet. But I love you, too.
KT
Hi KT,
This is your cousin Tom. I love your blog . . . . most of the time. I absolutely support Prop 8 and hope it passes. Like Rachel, I would never want to say anything that would hurt your feelings or damage a relationship. I respect your views and admire you for studying out the issue. As such, I am speaking more to the issue than to you personally in hopes it might clarify it for Church members who may be unsure of their stance.
Most church members believe that homosexuality is wrong based on the scriptures; however, where some get tripped up and may want to vote against Prop 8 is that on the surface, Prop 8 appears to be discriminatory (i.e., God loves all of his children so if we deny gays the right to marry each other, we are not showing the same love that God would show his children). This stance is simply not true when examined in the context of the principles of “good” government. Allow me to explain.
Voting for Prop 8 is upholding the rights of the moral majority (I hope) as defined by the “social contract” inherent in any principled, developed society ruled by government. This social contract implicitly and explicitly states (in the form of laws) those individuals who inflict physically, economic, or moral harm on others should be deterred from such behavior through punishment, and it is the people’s right through the government to uphold such laws even if a minority does not agree. If you believe that homosexuality is a sin, and therefore morally harmful to others, then voting “Yes” is upholding the “social contract” of government to protect individuals from moral harm and not discrimination, which is entirely different. Discrimination is ill treatment of a class or group of people possessing certain characteristics. Implicit in this definition is that these certain characteristics that cause prejudices do not break the “social contract” or are at least independent of that social contract. Let me draw a simple example. Putting someone in jail for selling drugs is not prejudice as it protects others from harm; putting someone in jail because of race is prejudice and is wrong. There is a big difference.
In conclusion, let me say that I do not hate gays and I fully support the Church’s stance of providing benefits just as long as such benefits do not jeopardize the definition of traditional marriage. VOTE YES ON PROP 8!!
P.S. I realize this is a day late and a dollar short as election day is today but I thought I’d post anyway.
P.P.S. Your daughter is really cute!!
KT--one thing I love about us is that we can disagree and still be besties.
1. No, I don't believe that Obama is a terrorist. That's ridiculous. I do, however, think his involvement in ACORN, his ermark spending, relationship with Billy Ayers are a bit sketchy and I don't understand why the media is covering for him. Also, if there's a tape, let's hear it! If there is nothing wrong with it, what are we so afraid of?
2. Prop 8. It’s not an issue of granting homosexuals rights, it’s an issue of defining marriage and protecting religious freedom.
Think about the political implications for any church, not just the LDS church. Churches that don’t support gay marriage are being actively touted as bigots and if NO on Prop 8 is a go, then discrimination charges will be thrown out left and right. We don’t have, and shouldn’t have, constitutionally protected rights to do whatever the hell we want to, but we do have a protected constitutional right, on which our country was founded, to religious freedom. The CA Supreme Court decision to overturn Prop 22 both overturned what Californians voted on and violates this right. It’s time to turn it back and stand up for both marriage and religious freedom.
The church getting involved in this isn’t an issue of invading others’ freedom or discriminating against any minority group; it’s an issue of protecting the definition of a marriage to protect what we are legally bound or not bound to teach our children in public schools, and to protect every church’s constitutionally protected freedom to worship how, where or what they may.
This is kind of an awesome article about it.
http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom
/eng/commentary/the-divine-institut
ion-of-marriage
But my favorite highlights include--
The Church does not object to rights (already established in California) regarding hospitalization and medical care, fair housing and employment rights, or probate rights, so long as these do not infringe on the integrity of the family or the constitutional rights of churches and their adherents to administer and practice their religion free from government interference.
Legalizing same-sex marriage will affect a wide spectrum of government activities and policies. Once a state government declares that same-sex unions are a civil right, those governments almost certainly will enforce a wide variety of other policies intended to ensure that there is no discrimination against same-sex couples. This may well place “church and state on a collision course.”
The prospect of same-sex marriage has already spawned legal collisions with the rights of free speech and of action based on religious beliefs. For example, advocates and government officials in certain states already are challenging the long-held right of religious adoption agencies to follow their religious beliefs and only place children in homes with both a mother and a father. As a result, Catholic Charities in Boston has stopped offering adoption services.
Other advocates of same-sex marriage are suggesting that tax exemptions and benefits be withdrawn from any religious organization that does not embrace same-sex unions. [17] Public accommodation laws are already being used as leverage in an attempt to force religious organizations to allow marriage celebrations or receptions in religious facilities that are otherwise open to the public. Accrediting organizations in some instances are asserting pressure on religious schools and universities to provide married housing for same-sex couples. Student religious organizations are being told by some universities that they may lose their campus recognition and benefits if they exclude same-sex couples from club membership.
I love controversial blog posts. I lied when I said I didn't.
Who doesn't love blog fighting?
Thanks to those who wrote more about Prop. 8- I'm really curious about it (even though I'm not in CA)
Also- I agree with the poster who said the media LOVES Obama and I think even FOX news (which sadly, I love) tends to make him out to be the one true good guy. I know they're fighting an uphill battle when it comes to smarts, speaking abilities, etc. but still- I think the tape should have been released so everyone could decide for themselves. You'd better believe if there was a tape of Palin out there it would be covered all over the media and then done as a skit on SNL. Now jumping from this tape to claims he's a terrorist seem a bit of a leap... but come on, "tropper-gate" (of which she was convienently cleared of the day before elections when tons of votes had already been cast) was covered over and over and over again. And, though Obama seems a good choice, his "friends" have the right to be questioned. JMO of course. Can't wait to see the results tonight. Come on, get some maps on CNN already!
I love controversial blog postings too. It gets my blood pumping and keeps life interesting.
P.S. Sometimes I wrote controversial things on my blog JUST so you will have a debate with yourself (and Kamie...and sometimes Gurr) about it. Don't tell. :)
Post a Comment