Tuesday, October 14, 2008

If I Were A Better Mom, I'd Comb My Child's Hair

My child has crazy hair, and I used to fight it. I tried loading it up with conditioner, baby hair glue (yes, they make that stuff--it's crap, but they make it), anti-friz spray, you name it. It's no good; her hair sticks straight up. People tell me she'll lose it eventually, but it seems to be getting longer and more unmanageable. Now her roots are coming in white blonde, and THICKER. Not only does her hair stand straight up, but now she looks like she is in serious need of a color touch-up.

So, I've given up. I don't care if her hair makes her look like she drank all night and passed out in a pool of vomit. I don't even comb it anymore; it just does its thing and I accept that. Sure, I'll laugh at her and make clown jokes, but SO WOULD YOU.

Tonight Warno went to get the mail holding baby in his arms. A little girl who was at the mailboxes with her mom pointed to my beautiful child and said "Hi doggy!" Her mom took a second look and explained, "That's not a doggy, that's a baby."

Now I'm paranoid bows might make her look like a poodle.

15 comments:

Dads(2) said...

that hair is priceless--she could be the next poster child for your new product, Big Sexy Baby Hair

Kristina P. said...

She's adorable! Let it grow!

Leslie said...

Who cares. She's still freaking adorable.

Kamie said...

Cutest. Baby. Ever.

And I still want to eat her cheeks.

rychelle said...

that's the cutest poodle i've ever seen!!!

Oertel said...

I was bald until I was four. Even dressed in ALL PINK (which I haven't done since) people would say, what a nice looking boy. Yeah. And I grew up okay. So I think she'll be fine. (Plus, she's adorable.)

Ashlee said...

First off, I'm pretty sure either you or Sally had that same head of hair. And, she's adorable, so who cares if her hair is nuts? My kids don't have hair till after nursery age, so enjoy! Get some funky bows and go with it. Are you ever moving up here? Come on already!

Ashley said...

Ok...SO CUTE! :) She's darling. And I love her hair. Poodles hair is curly too...isn't it?! :) So she's fine.

Truly...she's darling! I love her!

lisset said...

if all else fails, just take a razor to her head. she won't have a clue what happened and it will likely grow back much thicker and little less standup-ish. or go on letting her look like she stuck her finger in an electrical socket. whatevs. i'm sure e will still take her out when they come of age...

Katie Smith said...

Are you kidding? I love this kid's hair. It's totally awesome. I do like your attempt (in your previous post) to pin it all down with those million-and-one hair clips. That is a fashion trend in the making.

Kim said...

K seriously, what the crap. I thought you were moving to Oregon?! I have been waiting to babysit this kid and you just keep posting adorable pictures of her to rub it in my face that you are still on the other side of the country. By the way, if you are moving up here would you be interested in joining our Hood to Coast team? It's the the last weekend in Aug 2009. You should seriously do it, it's a blast and we'd have even more fun if you did it with us. K well think about it and get back to me.

Kim said...

Nice! email me at kimberlyjohnson.kj@gmail.com
So we can talk seriously about it! I'm SOO EXCITED!

The Georges said...

Yes, I would laugh too (not at your baby but at mine). But, she's really cute and she'll grow into her hair soon enough.

Lindsey said...

lol! I LOVE her hair! leave it! kylie still has crazy hair and she's 4. I love your baby. move out here!

Wendyburd1 said...

Soooo cute, she is an ORIGINAL!!