Sunday, July 6, 2008

Something About My Membranes?...No, I Just Peed My Pants

In order to avoid getting too intimate over the Internet, let's just say for the past few days I had been "leaking" a bit. Not a lot, just a bit. Right before we had to leave for church today (ironically), I started to get a little freaked out. First let me back up and say that I receive those e-mails from BabyCenter.com, you know the ones that tell you what to expect each week of pregnancy. The one I received for this week mentioned something about the signs of preterm labor, so naturally that's what I freaked out about. My mom called and I asked her if what I was experiencing was normal, and her answer was the same as it is every time I ask her a pregnancy question:

"I don't know, I only went into labor once with your older brother and that was over thirty years ago!"

Hey Mom, would it have been too much to have KEPT A JOURNAL about this stuff? I'm trying to bond with you here.

My mom advised me to call my doctor, so I did. When the midwife called me back and I described to her my symptoms she said I may have ruptured my membranes and to go to the hospital to get checked. She also asked me if I had had any cramping or discomfort as well. Uh, maybe? I would pretty much describe pregnancy as overall discomfort. My tummy tightens up sometimes and I'm ALWAYS in some sort of pain. I'm almost nine months pregnant, and so far this experience has been less than a carnival ride for me, so I'm not quite sure which part of the discomfort is normal and which part is cause for alarm. Today I chose to be alarmed, and when I was told to go get checked I thought it might also be fun to throw in an anxiety attack of sorts, just for kicks.

Instead of church Warren and I headed straight off to the emergency room (except we did make one stop when we saw about six vultures devouring some kind of road kill and Warren asked, "Do you want to see what they're eating?" and I said "YEAH I DO!" THEN we went straight to the ER after we saw it was an armadillo).

After a few tests were run on my urine and samples were taken it was determined that everything was normal. Baby is happy and fine. Although, if she isn't born with some kind of paranoid twitch I'm going to be incredibly surprised.

We spent the rest of the afternoon doing this:



10 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I'm not sure which is more disturbing. The leakage or the "I'm possibly going to kill someone and stab their mother" photos.

I've never been pregnant, but everytime I read something horrifying, I add it to my "cons" list. It's a lot longer than the "pros."

The Johnsons said...

I see you guys spent some good quality sunday time together. What are sundays for if you can't do things like that. when do you guys move to OR?

Colten and Melissa Rogers said...

Okay so you never post pictures and then you post these ones? They are little scary... And if your baby doesn't come out with a paranoid twitch she will have one after she sees these pictures. :)

Anonymous said...

oh Katie, Warren could just not be more perfect for you! You two are like peas in a pod. lol... you could have called me and I would've told you everything you are experiencing is normal! Enjoying never having the same bladder ever ever again!

Justin & Kamie said...

Your face looks weird.

lisset said...

cuuute. real cute.

gurrbonzo said...

I hope your baby gets your NEW nose.

Just kidding. I liked your old one too.

Jules AF said...

I feel special for being on your list of clever people who made you laugh. Seriously. Fanning my face with excitement like a beauty queen right now.

Kim and Layne said...

I am glad that there couples out there that rank higher on the list, than Layne and I, of being embarrassing and retarded . I knew Layne and I were friends with you for some reason. :) Good luck with those membranes...how many weeks are you anyway?

Sara Boulter said...

I can't breathe. I don't know whether to laugh harder at the armadillo massacre or the socks on the head. You clever funny girl you. More please