Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Guilt, Rage, Panic, Outbursts, Bah, Bah, Bah

I know I write more about the negative aspects of pregnancy than the positive, and that sometimes I forget how cool it is to have a real little person in my belly, and how I get to be the one to feel her move around and bond with her and know her little funny womb habits, but you know what? Deal with it, I'm cranky.

I decided to take a personal leave of absence from my job before my maternity leave kicks in, and the guilt associated with feeling like I gave up is overwhelming right now. For the past couple months I've been emotional like never before, and those who know me know that I can be pretty emotional. In normal-KT mode I tend to deal with stress by taking on more stress. Case in point: while in graduate school I also worked three other jobs, danced on a dance company, and tried to train for a marathon while fundraising with the non-profit organization, TNT, to fight leukemia. WhAaaat? Yes, yes I tried to do all of that. AT THE SAME TIME. This was also the semester I was engaged to a boy from South Africa and trying to juggle my mom's ideas from Oregon and Warren's mom's ideas from South Africa, and figuring out what my ideas were (if I had any) at the same time knowing I could possibly be making a huge mistake by marrying someone who lived on the other side of the world, and moving to South Africa for an indefinite amount of time. Needless to say my life came crashing down on me one week before I was supposed to leave for South Africa when I dislocated my knee and had a breakdown that eventually landed me in a room with padded furniture. I'm not kidding.

Why am I sharing this with blogworld? I don't know...but that experience taught me how to effectively deal with stress, and more importantly how NOT to deal with it. One of my favorite professors at BYU, Dr. Cox, pulled me into her office and told me there are two ways depression manifests itself: either through tears, ambivalence and sleeping, or through what I was going through--taking on too much to avoid feeling anything. She told me then I needed ease up and take care of myself by recognizing what I was going through and making changes in my life. Unfortunately, she told me this in May of that year and I continued to beat myself up until my breakdown in December. Sometimes I like to learn the hard way.

Since then I've made an effort to only take on those things I know I can handle. I've been able to learn skills to deal with anxiety attacks when they come on and how to stop one pretty early before it turns into full-blown, debilitating panic. That's not to say I haven't had my occasional bad days, but for the most part just recognizing my problem and knowing how to cope in a more healthy way has helped me be much happier. It's not easy, but I can handle it now and have found room in my life to laugh and enjoy the small things.

Or I should say I COULD handle it pre-massive proportions of estrogen pumping through my body. These past few months have been INSANE. I know how to deal with anxiety attacks now, hell, sometimes they're even entertaining (like the time I freaked out over all the Chester molesters in my neighborhood and printed off their faces on the Chester molester site and made Warren burn the list up in our driveway just so I could feel safe from the bad guys), but it's the first kind of depression I've felt recently and it's wiping me out. At any given moment I am about to either bite off some one's head or cave into myself with tears and self-deprecation. For example, I forgot to bring pillows to a birthing class Warren and I are taking (apparently pushing a baby out requires a certificate) and I had a meltdown over it. PILLOWS. In my mind I couldn't do anything right and I was going to fail as a mom, and what was I doing having a child anyway? PILLOWS. These meltdowns happen at least 3-4 times a day, usually two smaller ones and one or two 45 minute crying episodes. It has affected my motivation to do anything and everyday has been a challenge just to wake up and take a shower. I've felt like I've been treading water to survive and it has sucked in catastrophic proportions. The worst part is I've been too embarrassed to talk to my doctor about it. The last time I was in his office I had an episode over my weight and he laughed at me (with good reason), but I was unsure how to tell him about all the other dark thoughts going on. It wasn't about my weight, my weight is just an easy scapegoat that I'm used to blaming my life's failures on. It's deeper and scarier than that and I have been ashamed to say HELP.

Last night it all about crashed again. I woke up in the middle of the night with my fists clenched so tightly my arm hurt. This morning I woke up fully prepared to face my stress, to face a high stress job, to organize what I've left go unorganized and take back control of my life. However, instead I decided to take a personal leave, and the guilt over quitting is almost as bad as the fear of failing. Part of me wants to buck up, say to myself that I'm pregnant and this is hormones and lots of women can manage just fine, but the other part of me wants to hide in the bathtub and sob. I guess today I gave into the latter and my next step needs to be accepting that right now that's okay.

On the upside, a nurse from the hospital told me that all these emotions are probably a sign that I have high amounts of estrogen, which makes for a baby with strong lungs. I'm hoping this means she's a singer and we can exploit her talent to make us really, really rich.

19 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Oh, bless you. This is why I love reading your blog, because you are real and NORMAL. I was reading one of the mommy blogs that SSB parodies, right before yours, and I literally wanted to vomit. This woman just had a baby, and everything is SO GREATTT!!!!!!! She actually put SAD, followed by a frowny face, as a sentence.

And then I read your blog, a breath of fresh air. Don't get me wrong, depression sucks, and I wish you were dancing on rainbows and clouds right now, but I also appreciate your honesty. If I ever have a baby, I'm going to be crazy. Let's just get that out there.

Hope things calm down!

Colten and Melissa Rogers said...

I had all of the same feeling when I was pregnant. I don't think that I stopped crying during the last to weeks. I just think that after nine months your mind just can't handle anymore. Just think I did it at 21 you can do it at 29. You will make it and be so happy that you did.

gurrbonzo said...

Oh, friend. DO NOT feel bad about timing out for your mental health. In the last three months as I'm adjusting to being responsible for a tiny human, I've had to remind myself ten thousand times that what a baby needs most is a well-rested mum. DO NOT FEEL BAD ABOUT TAKING THIS TIME...it's not selfish, it's for your sanity, which in turn is for your daughter. You can do it.

Regirlfriend said...

This post was so good. I have been going through this without pregnancy. We don't know each other, but there's something kindof scary about putting yourself out there publicly to strangers like this, and I think you should know that there are strangers who feel less alone now because of you.

I have been afraid to tell my doctor because he'll suggest a.) exercise or b.) more medication (I already have one). I am not interested in adding either of those things to my life right now. Sometimes, I'm just insane. In fact, I remind myself of the early stages of paranoid schizophrenia, thinking that I am in the Truman show and the whole world is orchestrating together to mock and upset me. I'll hear someone laugh across my office, and immediately wonder if the eating sounds another person is making are all on purpose to annoy me, and that they are instant messaging about it. I am making these assumption about mature, boring adults who would never actually do that.

It is mostly hormonal (not pregnancy, the other kind) and for me, it usually passes. I'm not normal by any means during the non-crazy days, but at least I'm not up at 3 a.m. scribbling on my legs with a ballpoint pen and sobbing about the world ending more than 25% of the time.

Sorry for blog-lurking on a stranger's very personal blog topic. Thanks for sharing.

lisset said...

kt, kt, kt. you gotta know that many a woman experience crazy hormonal breakdowns during pregnancy. my whole pregnancy i was convinced that Ry hated me and therefore, he hated E. I was a lump of useless tears for a good 7 months- and it didn't end until we moved to the george when E was about 10 months old. YOU ARE NOT CRAZY!

Ashlee said...

Oh how I love how real you are. I'm glad you got some time off- ENJOY IT. Why feel bad? Everyone else is just wishing they were off, too.

Gosh, I totally remember the stress of that first baby and not knowing what you're in store for- but the good news is, some of us went on to have more than one, so you have to know it's worth it on some level, right? :)

You're not crazy at all. Having a baby is STRESSFUL... especially in the stage where you are when you're uncomfortable, the baby is big in a tummy you can't imagine they fit in, and all you really want is to sleep alone. At least that was my experience the last few weeks. Hang in there. It will be great when she gets here and you can start exploiting her for her cuteness! Can't wait to hear details of her arrival!

Justin & Kamie said...

First- Thanks for sharing such a personal part of you on a blog for the e-world to read. I like that you feel comfortable in your craziness to know that people who don't think they have any craziness have just gone completely nuts.

Second- that padded room sounds nice. Was it comfy? Cause it sounds like I want to be there right about now taking a nap.

Melanie said...

KT, you're so normal. . .and you're one of the few to admit it and put it out there. That's a great thing. It really is a breath of fresh air.
And I don't believe that the majority of women have beautiful pregnancies with wonderful experiences. . . they just aren't honest about it. If it makes you feel any better, I just turn into a jerk when I'm pregnant. I don't cry and let on how stressed I am (even if I'm going out of my mind) as much as I make every one's life around me pure misery and complain loudly and use sarcasm constantly. I actually think you're handling things in such a better way and you deserve a break! Heck, I wish I could take one and at this point I would give anything to go back on my poor choices over the last few months and just say no to all the things I agreed to do. You're SMART! So no guilt. You and your baby deserve a rest and you deserve it to be guilt free. After all, you're already doing one of the hardest things a person can do. You're growing a human being. I don't think it gets more stressful and difficult than that!

Anonymous said...

Oh Katie.... Don't worry, it won't be long before you have to completely forget about yourself and all your drama and meltdowns so you can focus on your little baby. Because after she's hear, it's all about them! No more about Katie and her problems...ohhhhh nooooo!!!!!! Chill out sister. You have had an exceptional life, you have a fantastic husband and now a gorgeous little girl. Really when you look at the grand scheme of things, you are very blessed and lucky to be where you are at. It could've been way worse. Dont' stress the small stuff and just take life ONE DAY AT A TIME! Trust me, you will enjoy it much better that way. And enjoy the time off too because it's the last time to yourself that you will EVER get! =) When you move back to Oregon, I will be here to help and we can let the girls play while we get pedicures! YA!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rachie said...

I love your honesty. All the blogs I read paint marriage and motherhood as 100% perfect bliss, and, though I'm sure it's nice sometimes, come on! But I would suggest maybe telling your doctor or getting a shrink to help you deal with the depression and/or stress. Depression sucks big time. Good luck! I'm sure you'll be great!

Russ and Nat said...

KT - wow I am so sorry. I can't say that I know exactly what you are going through, but I can tell you pregnancy is NOT easy for me. I never knew how emotional and stressful it would be. I think you took a really positive first step in admitting how you really feel.

Kim and Layne said...

Katie--I'm sorry that you are going through all of this. Depression is the worst thing I have ever experienced (even worse than cancer), and I would never wish it on my worst enemy. I would suggest letting your doctor know. Also, you could talk to your bishop. Every ward has a therapist assigned to it. My therapist has helped me a lot.

I would try to get help before your little girl comes because it will honestly just get worse if things aren't getting handled by then. Baby means more stress, etc.

Kati said...

Just had to tell you that I am so happy to hear of someone else that couldn't stand to read about Bella and her whiny a$$ self.
Blame your depression on Bella.
Seriously...take care of yourself. Pregnancy is hard, but postpartum was even worse for me. Take the time you need now, and don't feel bad about it!

Mandy said...

Katie.. you are SO not alone. I promise.. I've got through periods in my life where the exact same things happen. My poor husband just does not understand but after 5 years of marriage, he is getting to know "me" better. I had so much anxiety with this last pregnancy.. I actually had to take medication. That was a huge guilt problem for me, which then made my anxiety and panic worse.. I think you made a smart choice..

Stephanie said...

Hey, just wanted to echo everyone and tell you that you did the right thing. Taking time for your mental health is a sign of a good mom. And thanks for being honest about it, I think I may save this blog for when I actually do reproduce and my own crazy levels sky-rocket. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Did you delete my second comment on this page?

Anonymous said...

Hehehehe. All these people saying you're normal have forgotten the last 'episode' they had with you. Not me honey. There was no baby around to get you off the hook. I know you're freaky crazy. And I don't think you should tell the world about it...Warren's trying to get a new job. I do think you're very funny though.

Carina said...

Hey, kt, drop me an email, would you?

jetset dot azucar at gmail dot com.