Today I had a conversation with an elderly lady and we somehow got into a discussion about the upcoming presidential election. She mentioned that there had been talk about Jeb Bush joining John McCain's campaign as vice president. I asked her what her thoughts were on what that might do to McCain's campaign, given the Bush family's low popularity at the moment.
She answered, "What I don't understand is how everyone really wants Obama to win. I mean, what is he about?"
Here I think we're about to get into an intelligent political conversation, and I said, "I've heard that argument against Obama--that he may not have the experience necessary for such a big job, or that he might just talk the big talk."
Then she interrupted and said, "No, I mean, what IS he. Like, is he a Muslim or something?"
Oh.
Ethnically.
She was confused over what Obama could possibly be ethnically. Yes, I understand now. He's not white, and with a name like Obama, I can see her trouble. Old people make me laugh on the inside.
I guess it won't matter in the long run how confused she is over Obama's ethnicity, since she is from Florida and we all know Florida is going to eff it up anyway.
UPDATE: It's been brought to my attention that this lady possibly became confused after she received an e-mail accusing Obama of being a "radical Muslim." If you have received that same e-mail, click here to read more. And, in case you're still confused, it's crap. Crapity crap.
6 comments:
Sounds like she's been reading the same emails my husband's very conservative family LOVES to send around.
Fortunately, they figured out that I'm one of those crazy liberals (meaning not a Sean Hannity Great American), and so they don't send them to me.
I love elections.
and muslims can't be president because that would be bad. i know. it has about the same logic as when someone asks me if i am related to fidel castro and/or if i am a communist.
Oldies are goodies.
We got one of those sweet emails forwarded to us, complete with the Muslim thing and with the "lapel pin" bonus track.
Since the people who forward these never delete the email addresses of the hundreds of victims these things have been sent to, there was a mile-long thread of email addresses, which my husband copied and pasted into a new email correcting all the lies within it and directing them all to the snopes page that debunked everything written.
He got a bunch of ladies writing back going "I learned something! I won't be so quick to judge! Thanks!" I thought it was cute.
Then I blogged about how stupid it was, and someone actually commented, suggesting that Obama supporters spread it just to make opponents look like rednecks.
So, I just realized that email is where my husband got the idea from that Obama didn't participate in The Pledge. Sigh. I've sent them links to Snopes millions of times, but apparently, they refuse to do look. I hadn't seen that email, but plenty of other Obama crap.
I just told him to tell his ignorant family to stop sending that crap and check out Snopes for once in a while. Happy 4th.
oh, old people.
i had a grandma-type tell me not to vote for obama because he "wasn't american enough"
sigh.
Post a Comment