Monday, February 25, 2008

A serious cry for help

Most of you who know me know that 1. I don't cook, 2. I rarely grocery shop and 3. I can survive on very strange combinations of food (i.e. crackers with ketchup). However, since becoming pregnant it seems my nutritional needs have become a bit more specific. No longer am I able to open a can of corn or kidney beans, eat a couple spoonfulls and be full. 7-11 hot chocolate doesn't seem to cut it anymore as a filling breakfast. MY HEAD IS GOING TO EXPLODE FROM THE HUNGER PAINS. Last night I could not fall asleep because I needed protein and calcium--I've become acutely attune with my body and its cravings over the past few weeks. Of course, as usual, my fridge is stocked with nothing but rotten chili, rotten vegetables, moldy cheese, a pack of hot dogs, and condiments. My dear husband thinks even less about food than I do, so usually we're down to eating toast for dinner before one of us (usually Warren) suggests we do some grocery shopping.

My point is, last night I wanted to die. I was so hungry and nothing I had was filling enough to make the pain go away. If I wasn't trying to create a human life in my uterus I probably wouldn't care, but I'm really afraid that my eating habits are going to give this child brain damage. I need suggestions, and lots of them. What should I keep my fridge full of while I'm pregnant, or even better, what should I have in my fridge in general? You know, WHAT DO PEOPLE EAT? No recipes please, my attention span is only so long. I need foods that can fall into my very hungry outsretched hands. Or, that could be nuked in a microwave, and things that don't require too much stirring, or any use of a hot surface.

For those of you who don't know me that well, I am absolutely serious. This is not a joke. I am almost thirty years old and have only a minimal knowledge on how the whole food thing works. My grocery shopping is usually me wandering aimlessly around the store only to leave with bread, milk, and peanut butter. And maybe gummy worms and a diet coke, if I still have room left in my arms to carry them.

11 comments:

Colten and Melissa Rogers said...

I know you eat health so we will start there. I am no expert, but I will try and help. Eggs, Oranges, Apples, Grapes, Apple sauce maybe the cups or fruit cups, yogurt, cereal, crackers, potatoes, lettuce, tomatoes, tortilla chips, salsa, cheese, string cheese, spaghetti sauce, noodle, stoffers lasagna, frozen waffles, frozen pizza, honey, minute rice, canned vegtables, frozen chicken, bananas, frozen dinners?, ground beef, hot dogs, mac n'cheese, roast is always really good and easily (just stick it in the crock pot, if you want a recipe let me know). I hope this helps?

Colten and Melissa Rogers said...

healthy*

Russ and Nat said...

Ok, I am a slacker. I promised you a diet plan and have failed to deliver......and now you are starving to death!! I am going to get on it.....promise!!

Melanie said...

Okay Katie, I'm going to give you a list of what I'm living on right now because I'm too lazy and nauseous to cook.
First, I keep a few bags of frozen berries in the freezer. They're healthy, they're not hard on the stomach, and I can either eat them frozen or nuke them. I usually stick with bluberries, raspberries, cherries, etc. Sometimes I put splenda on them and if anyone gives me a hard time about using unnatural sweetner while pregnant, I hunt them down and ram equel down their throats. Berries a great night time snack. Seriously, they won't make you sick and they'll help. Also, keep some canned pineapple and vanilla yogurt around and you can make the best smoothies with them. Smoothies are my favorite preggo treat.
Then, I keep sharp cheddar around, even if it's in deli slices. That fills me up when I need protein and it's tolerable. Most other cheeses just piss me off right now.
For quick and easy meals, get the Nature's Way (the regular crap had MSG) Pasta and Rice-a-Roni. Stick a boiled chicken breast in it and you've got yourself a ten minute meal.
Also, I buy fruit cups, pre-made salad, carrot sticks, cauliflower, and broccoli (RAW!!!) and dip and crap like that by the dozen. I'm not a meal person either. I just snack so I buy a lot of snack junk that's sort of healthy. Especially the pre-cut pre-made stuff. Fred Meyer caters to my laziness (they have pre-cut watermelon fruit cups for ridiculously overpriced amounts but I don't care) and they've become my new best friend.
Oh, and peanut butter and apples. Lots of those. Oh, and Jelly Bellies. For good measure. The first suggestion has all the foods I would suggest, but half of them make me ill right now so I'm just telling you what I can force down. Except for the pasta roni. I was just trying to give you a lazy meal idea with that. I can't eat that either right now.

Kim and Layne said...

Alright...I might repeat a few of the things others have said but whatever. I suggest making yourself eat a small meal every 2-3 hours. Things you could eat: cottage cheese, yogurt, hard boiled eggs (boil a bunch and keep them in your fridge for a quick snack), almonds, trail mix, beef jerky, beans, string cheese, fruit, veggies (broccoli has a lot of calcium in it), and drink lots of milk (at least three cups a day). I hated milk so Layne bought me some Rich Chocolaty Ovaltine, which I might say is pretty tasty. I always kept crackers and water by my bed to curb the pains at night. I also want to encourage you to buy a grill. I hate cooking so Layne BBQ's something every night while I make a salad. It's worked out well for us. We eat salmon, steak, chicken, and burgers during the week. It's wonderful...

gurrbonzo said...

Hahaha! juicy fruit!! No, not the gum, but fruit that is juicy, at least that's what this baby likes. Gala apples, grapes, plums, oranges...anything juicy. I think bc I'm so thirsty. Slicing up an apple then dipping a little PB goes a long way with me.

Also a good old fashioned can of black or refried beans nuked with a tortilla then some cheese and salsa on top goes a long way if you need something warm and don't have the patience to boil anything.

Ashlee said...

Well, both of my girls are basically built out of peanut butter on white bread and diet coke. I wish I was kidding. But I wasn't feeling great and working full time- so I could put PB on bread and eat it whenever. Oh, and apples. Grant I wanted fruit, and was actually too lazy to peel grapefruit, which was my fav- so I bought the cups of fruit already read to go and kept them in my fridge. Yogurt, peanuts, almonds, Eggos, fruit... oh, and for even lazier days I loved the fruit strips that are all fruit but dried up and I'm sure sprinkled with lots of sugar. I got so I hate the grocery store. If I can't get it at Costo with everything else, I'll make ONE trip once a month. I totally understand. You could always get squirt cheese to go on the crackers if ketchup doesn't sound good. :)
Good luck!!!

Justin & Kamie said...

Tag!
Check my blog for the tag.

TammeNBen said...

I can't believe you found someone who has less knowledge about food than you do. Thats amazing! When we were roommates, you were always good at eating my lunch meat and cheese. You might want to try Lunchables, they are quick and easy. This kid only liked protein, so my 2am snack was lunch meat wrapped around a chunk of cheese. Its hard to choke down some nights, but kept me full until morning. Good luck!

rozalyn said...

Oh you make me laugh. This last time I really enjoyed Annie Chun's noodle bowls (I really wanted those ramen cup of noodles but just couldn't bring myself to eat one of those. Annie Chun filled the void. I love her.) They're super simple. I also had a huge hankering for turkey cold cuts, which you're not supposed to eat cold while pregnant because of the whole lysteria thing, but I indulged a few times. Also I really like Amy's Kitchen frozen pizza. They have a good variety and they're fairly fast and easy. Just unwrap and pop 'em in the oven. Cold cereal is my go to. Kashi has some good granola that has 13 grams of protein per serving, plus omega 3's, yay! Personally, I'm a shredded wheat girl; but it just doesn't get any easier than cold cereal. We also like GeniSoy Soy Crisps in ranch and bbq flavor. Anything that sounds good to you that you can heat up in the microwave is good, or anything that you can eat cold is good too. We also snack on a lot of nuts (not salted): cashews, almonds, hazelnuts.Make your own trailmix with nuts, popcorn, raisins/craisins (craisins have added sugar though)and a cold cereal. Yogurt is HUGE. Smoothies are awesome and oh so easy! Just dump it all in and blend. I think everyone else has said pretty good things here. Oh yeah, I also love Kangaroo whole wheat pita pockets. I put these in the toaster and then dip them in my leftover spaghetti sauce. Sometimes I'll add a little grated parmesan cheese inside. Soooo yummy. And one last thing that I ate this time around that I haven't eaten for 15 years: tuna fish sandwich. I know, grody, but for some reason it was SO GOOD. And not to rain on your parade or kick you while your down or anything, but as long as you nurse your baby you'll be just as hungry as you are now (minus the food aversions and strange cravings).

KT said...

Thank you all SO much for all the wonderful suggestions. You pretty much just created my grocery list. And thank you, Natalie, for sending me a diet plan! My baby says thank you as well. (well, truthfully I'm not sure my baby can talk yet, but then again, I really don't know much about babies).

SERIOUSLY, THANK YOU!