Friday, March 7, 2008

Still new to the whole pregnancy thing...

This morning I had my 17 week appointment (oh, I'm still pregnant, by the way). Now, I don't go to the doctor's very often (usually I freak out and head straight for the emergency room), but don't the nurses usually call you back using just your first name? Today, as I'm waiting for my name to be called, I hear, "Katie, why don't you come back here and pee."

At first I thought, "Wow, that was considerate, how did she know I had to use the bathroom?" But as I walked into the bathroom I started to think that maybe I was supposed to give her something. Not knowing what to do, I stood there for a good two minutes trying to decide if I should use the toilet like I normally do, or if I should use the cup. But then, what if I wasn't supposed to give her my pee and it created a very awkward moment? Am I supposed to pee in a cup every time I go to the doctor's? That seems a little over-the-top, don't you think? Can't she tell by all my white, intact teeth that I don't use narcotics?

Now they want more blood. What is it with these people? I'm already having a baby, leave me alone.

8 comments:

Kari Badell said...

You are so funny! Yes...you are supposed to pee in the cup everytime. But they usually don't have to take your blood everytime, but with me they do because of the RH factor. This didn't make me very happy at first, but fortunately I've gotten used to it. Now hopefully it won't be such a shock when they are poking me all over the place when I have the baby.

KT said...

What is the RH factor?

Colleen said...

yeah, get used to the peeing-in-the-cup everytime you go. You'll get used to it! I just had to remember to NOT go before I left my house. A couple of times I had nothing left to give!

Justin & Kamie said...

Hmmm...RH factor.
"Really Hot"
"Righteous Hubby"
"Rollin' Homeboy"
"Rockin' Habitat"
"Rubbery Hackles"
"Rainbow Hamstring"
......hmmmm....

Melanie said...

I hate that part and there's always sugar in my pee (yes, I'm sure everyone wanted to know that) so they always act all freaked out and warn me about Gestational Diabetes. I just tell them that I drank a bottle of maple syrup or ate an entire cheescake before I came or something. Yeah, my doctors all love me.

Anonymous said...

Ha, Ha, just wait till they want to do a pelvic exam every time you go. By the time you give birth, you won't care who's poking around in there. You'll have no sense of modesty what so ever.

KT said...

The more I find out, the more frightened I become.

Mandy said...

Katie! I don't know if you remember me but we worked at Lex together for a short time. I saw your blog from Kari's. I wanted to say hi and congrats on your pregnancy.. it's rough but it will be worth it. I have two weeks left!