Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Obsess much?

For the past week I've been freaking myself out over the possibility of something going wrong with the baby. In fact, I'm almost to the point of grounding myself from the Internet so I force myself to stay away from medical articles. If there were something wrong, would the sonogram technician have told me when I went in at 17.5 weeks? Would my doctor have called me by now? I just spent the past hour comparing abnormal ultrasound pictures online with those of my baby to see if I could "diagnose" anything. Is that normal? Is it true that the mood of the mother will affect the mood of the baby? Will I make my kid neurotic?

6 comments:

Kari Badell said...

Were you really up at 4:15 am writing that post? Anyway, for me, it was normal to be a little, or a lot, freaked out during those weeks because you start to feel the baby a little and then you don't, and wonder if everything is ok. I think it's completely normal. Just wait until you're getting a lot bigger and the baby moves all over all the time. And then when the tests come back negative, that was always a big relief!

KT said...

Oh...the tests. I forgot to take the tests because, see, when I went to take them there was this long line of old people and I forgot to bring food, and the smell of old people was clouding my judgement, so I ran out of the clinic and told myself I would go back, but then I didn't. Maybe I like to be freaked out a little...and all the time.

Behunin Family said...

Welcome to motherhood! If there's not something to worry about, you'll create it. I can't tell you how many times I've looked up signs of autism when a kid was being shy or stuck out their tongue funny, or asked the doctor if something was "normal".

By the way, I passed on the blood tests because my doctor assured me that most of the things they test for do in fact show up on the U/S in one way or another and therefore I'd know I had a perfectly healthy baby during that U/S. So rest assured, I'm sure she's perfectly fine. :)

Email me the email you use most becuase I'm going to invite you to see the blog and make it private to all the freaks of the world- hmm... paranoid? :) I guess I'm the wrong person to ask about things like that.

Melanie said...

Eh, you're normal. Like Ash, I can't count how many times I've looked up things on the internet wondering if something was normal or not. And like Ash, I passed on the blood test because things mostly do show up in the U/S and after a point of too much worrying, there comes a time when I would rather not know, you know?
Either way, if things look okay, they probably are. And really, when you look at the statistics of things that could do go wrong, its much more rare than you'd think.
And, just remember, that when you're not making up things to worry about, some well meaning stranger or acquaintance (who has no business diagnosing you) will make up something more for you to worry about and tell you that you look like you have Marfen's disease, or your baby could be breach, or your might get a life threatening blood clot with your history, or your a prime candidate for carrying an IUGR baby, or you must have a molar pregnancy, or whatever. (I've actually gotten a number of those remarks and false dianosis'. Yeah, lot's of fun!)
Definition of Motherhood = worry.

Colleen said...

KT. Step away from the computer. haha. I remember freaking a few times. If your concerned, just call your dr. no biggie!

KT said...

Unfortunately, my Dr. already thinks I'm nuts from that one time I went to the emergency over heart-burn. I wish I was making that up...