Thursday, March 20, 2008

Making my mother proud

It's amazing what hunger will motivate a person to do. Last night was another one of those nights when I thought I was going to starve to death. So, this morning I decided to listen to my mother and Open. A. Cookbook. And, I did. Not only did I finally take the plastic seal off one of the cookbooks I got for my wedding, but I actually read a recipe. Then (Mom, don't pass out) I went the grocery store to buy the ingredients for the ranch chicken dish that I might bake tonight.

Do you know how much food is in a grocery store if you walk down every isle? I almost got light-headed. There were so many foods I had forgotten about: cornbread, chili, rolls, popsicles, salmon, olives, stuffing, spaggetti Os, pork chops. It took me nearly two hours just to take it all in. There I was, in Wal-Mart, in my pajamas, unshowered with stains all over my t-shirt, trying unsuccessfully to manuver an entirely full grocery cart through the isles, and I couldn't have been happier.

WE. HAVE. FOOD.

Not only that, but I promised Warren I would try to cook dinner for the next week, since he has a friend in town from South Africa and I want to pretend I'm not a failure of a wife for at least 5 days.

6 comments:

Ashley said...

Ok...first of all...you are HILARIOUS! I really think you're really so stinking funny. Second of all, I can see you there, taking that typing test, trying to beat your last score. :) Third of all...if you cook....YOU BETTER TAKE A PICTURE! I'm impressed you're even thinking about it! : ) WAY TO GO!!! :) Miss you! When are you coming back to Utah?! :)

Ashlee said...

Woo hoo! We're all proud of you. Ranch chicken is in my 4 ingredient cookbook. If yours is harder than that, call me. :) Best of luck cooking!

Melanie said...

Congrats KT. I'm really proud of you and I'm even happier for Warren. Way to go all domestic on us!
Let us know how it turns out.

KT said...

Dear Ashlee,

No, it was only 4 ingredients...anything more than that makes my head spin and I lose attention.

rozalyn said...

wow kt, that's HUGE! way to go! i'm very proud of you and i know your baby is happy too. : )

Behunin Family said...

Hey, 4 ingredients count. If you have to turn on the oven, it counts in my book (microwave also applies) and I have to admit I'm proud of you. And I agree with Melanie, I bet Warren is thrilled.
I love the 4 ingredients or less cookbook. If you don't have it, it's really the only one you need to own. Good luck!