Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Things We Say

Words can be hurtful.  When I first moved to Florida and started interacting with people from my ward, my first impression was how much they gossiped about other people.  It bothered me.  A LOT.  Some of the moms would have a playgroup every week and for about 8 months, I quit going.  The way they talked about other people who went to church with us was not only cruel, judgemental, but I found the topic of other people to be incredibly boring. 

Then I started to participate.  And I was probably one of the worst offenders.  I had an opinion about everything and everyone.  Everyone was stupid, but me.  Everyone was lame, but me.  Everyone's kids weren't as cool as mine were.  Yadda, yadda, yadda.  I felt negative and self-righteous, and just gross.  Before I moved here, I had a great circle of friends, friends who had better things to talk about.  Never would I imagine saying the things I've said about my friends from home.  But for some reason, I said them about people here.  I participated in the gossip.  It's affected my relationships with the other women who also participated.  I don't trust them, my feelings towards them are tainted.  I'm working on changing who I am, and like I said before, I feel much happier than I have felt in a long time.  Working on washing all this nasty gossipy slime off me. 

No comments: