Tuesday, May 8, 2012

On Finding My Happiness

Wahoo! Blogging! I feel as though everytime I actually make a blog post I should get an applause. I feel the same way after I cook dinner, which doesn't happen very often. Basically, anytime I do anything, an applause is in order.

It's been no secret that I have struggled with happiness since I moved to Florida. It's been hard to stay positive, and I admit I haven't done a great job with trying. I've spent too much time comparing Florida to my homes in Oregon and Utah. Things like, bad schools, crappy radio stations, boring people, etc. have put me in a bad mood. I've allowed them to put me in a bad mood. I mean, bad radio stations? Sure, they suck, but should radio stations have put me in a sour mood? Probably not. I've missed me. Oh, how I've missed me. I miss the fun, spontaneous, happy girl. For a loooooong time I haven't been able to find her. I've had moments of feeling content, sure, my time in Florida hasn't been all bad. But most of the time I've felt anxious, lonely, sad.

 Then an incident happened about a month ago that finally made me take a step back and re-evaluate myself, my "friendships," my goals, and the power I have to change what has made me unhappy. I've taken a step back from most of the people I've met in Florida. It's a hard thing to learn that friendships you once counted on weren't true friendships, that people aren't who you thought they were, or expected them to be. It was a really, really hard exercise for me to drop a few friendships. By nature, I am fiercely loyal and forgiving. I don't hold grudges and I hate staying mad. I'll do anything to get rid of the sinking feeling anger puts in my stomach. I'll always forgive, always, but I've reached that point in my life when I think it's also okay to rid my life of relationships that haven't made me happy. Relationships where I've felt I've needed to pretend to be someone I'm not because I was afraid of being judged, criticized, or talked about. April was a month for me to set new goals, prioritize what matters to me and focus on the happiness my family brings me. Part of me feels a little bit of a loss, but the loss I feel is far over shadowed by the happiness I've regained. Why didn't I do this YEARS ago? It would have saved me so much disappointment.

 I joined a running group and have started meeting new people. I've focused my energies on things I can control and I've let go of the things I can't. I've let Sadie fingerpaint on our back patio, draw cat whiskers on my face, and play with PLAYDOUGH without stressing about the mess. I've practiced shifting my focus from the things that annoy me to the things that are pretty. I see birds in the trees, flowers growing in the medians, and palm trees hidden in what I once saw as another ugly swamp. My daugthers and I have spent more time telling stories, dancing to the radio, reading books, and following ant trails outside.

Today as I was putting Bailey's hair in a ponytail, I feel like I looked at her for the first time. Really looked at her, and I thought, "wow, this hilarious, smart, pretty little baby is mine." My heart was happy. It's taken me a few years, but I finally had the courage to make the necessary changes in my life to feel happiness again.

And, oh, how good it feels.

8 comments:

Heatha said...

I'm seriously glad you're blogging again. Now I won't actually have to work while at work. Thank you.

Mandy said...

I'm happy you're back and girl, once again this post has reaffirmed that we must be twins. Keep on focusing. It's nice to hear that you are getting your happiness back! I went through the EXACT same thing in South Carolina and my journals are almost identical to this entry. Crazy...

The Kyles said...

How wonderful! It is great to hear your blogging voice once again. I know we don't really keep in touch much, but I've been wondering if something was wrong. Here's to a happier you!

Kari Badell said...

Getting rid of toxic relationships is the best thing one can do to feel better in life and about themselves. Good for you!

Ashlee said...

I'm so glad you're back! Learning to be happy and making yourself see things differently is hard to do. But so great. I'm happy for you!!

Sally said...

You are beautiful!! Remember all the times we spent playing and dancing and listening to music growing up? Remember, you got to practice being a mom with me...now you get to do that all the time with Sadie and Bailey!

I miss you Katie, but I love this post. It's important for all of us to take a step back sometimes and realize some things that make us grumpy are just not as important as we think they are. I love love love love you!!!!

Colten and Melissa Rogers said...

It is sad that it takes something to wake us up to realize what is truly important in life. I can say though my trial with losing Emerson I have become a better Mom. I too stop and look at my kids and realize that the things that bugged me (messes and such) aren't worth fussing over or getting annoyed about, they are only little once and I am going to take full advantage of those messes while I can, since I can. So grateful for my kids! I am glad that you have found this new found happiness. I am glad you are feeling more like yourself again because the KT I know is AMAZING!!!

CrAzYmOmMa said...

So this is the first time I have read your blog and let me just say I LOVE IT!! You are a great person KT. I know you share my hatred for Florida, but I am glad you are here. you are a great friend and a great mom. Don't let others bring you down. You are so full of life and you must never lose that!! Love ya KT.

P.S. I think I will now start stocking you via your blog, lol ;-p