My water ruptured last Tuesday at about 2:30am. First let me clarify for those of you who commented on how awesome I was for blogging during labor, while I don't want to take away from my awesomeness, I do have to admit that early labor contractions are nothing compared to the contractions that really count. Early labor was exciting and only slightly uncomfortable. Although, don't feel like you can't still perceive me as your hero.
I called my doula, Tracy (who we will hereby refer to as Super Tracy) when I noticed the leakage and was pretty sure it was not pee this time. She told me to start to time my contractions and call her when they were five minutes apart. I woke Warren up to tell him I was 98% sure I was in labor, but since I had hours of labor left to go he should go back to sleep. He sat in bed and stared at the ceiling for about an hour then decided it was time for him do a little "nesting." From about 3:30am until 4:00pm Warren cleaned, and cleaned, and cleaned, and cleaned what he had just cleaned. He did laundry, vacuumed, re-washed clean dishes, scrubbed bathrooms, mowed the lawn...twice. I'm not positive, but I think I saw him lick our kitchen floor clean.
At around 6:00am, I called Super Tracy to let her know my contractions were closer together. They still didn't hurt, necessarily, but they were starting to get more regular. Super Tracy came over about a half hour later to coach me at home. Since my water had not gushed, and would only leak every time I had a contraction, we weren't worried about rushing to the hospital right away. In Florida doctors have 24 hours to deliver a baby once they know when the mother's water broke. I knew that if I went to the hospital too early I would be induced, and I wanted to avoid that. Once Super Tracy arrived my contractions became irregular again--every five minutes, then every fifteen minutes, then two an hour. We went on walks, did squats, ate a spicy sandwich at Subway, did more squats, watched an episode of Wipeout (my new favorite show on T.V. because what isn't funny about watching someone face plant and take a fall off a 10 foot platform?) Unfortunately, nothing helped move my contractions along. At 6:00pm, I finally felt like we should head to the hospital. My water had been leaking for 15 1/2 hours at this point and I was nervous that something might be wrong.
At the hospital the three of us waited for nearly TWO HOURS to be checked. I guess since we were all laughing in the waiting room we didn't exactly look like we needed immediate attention. Plus, I had just been in about 3 1/2 weeks earlier thinking my water had broken when it hadn't, so I figured they thought I had peed again. It turned out there were no beds available because every woman in Pasco, Co. decided to have her baby that day. At nearly 8:00pm I was taken back to be checked. The nurse on duty checked three times for amniotic fluid, but every test came back negative. She would have discharged me except she noticed mucus and called for the midwife. The midwife checked the water that had leaked on the bed and it tested positive for amniotic fluid, so I was admitted right then. I lied (but I'm not sorry) to the midwife about when the leak started because by this time it was almost 10:00pm and if I told her the truth I might have been hooked up to pitocin immediately. Super Tracy advised me to get some sleep and she would either be back in the morning, or her back-up doula, Super Emily, would come. My water gushed right before Super Tracy left, but my contractions STILL weren't regular, so we figured I had quite a while left and should sleep before the hard contractions started.
About 25 minutes after we said good-bye to Super Tracy my contractions kicked it up about a hundred notches and they went from slightly uncomfortable but fun and exciting to active labor, beat-me-over-the-head-with-a-metal-bat- and-it-hurts-to-walk-to-the-bathroom-so-someone-get-me-a-damn-bedpan contractions every 2-5 minutes. I called Super Emily in tears begging her to come to the hospital. I wanted to sleep but these contractions were a bit shocking and not nearly as easy to ignore. Super Tracy made it to the hospital before Super Emily and found me lying in my bed suffering silently. Super Emily showed up not long after and both of them sat and breathed with me, rubbed my back, and helped me through my contractions. I can not say enough good things about having a doula for my birth. Warren was great and did all he could, but with neither of us knowing what to expect or how to deal with the pain, Super Emily and Super Tracy were lifesavers. I would absolutely recommend a doula to anyone, especially first time parents.
My labor lasted the rest of the night. Around 2:00am I finally agreed to have narcotics to help me sleep. They worked for about 45 minutes and then they just made me loopy. My midwife told me she wanted to start pitocin at 6:00am and by that point I had had enough. I hadn't dilated, regardless of contracting all night, plus I knew I had lied about when my water had broken and now my water had been broken for over 24 hours. When the nurse came in to start the pitocin drip I was exhausted. I hadn't slept in two nights, I was in pain, and I was almost delirious. So, I asked for an epidural before the nurse started the pitocin. I was afraid with how tired I was that if I didn't get some sleep I wouldn't have the strength to push. At 7:30am the anesthsiologist came and hooked me up with the epidural. Oh. My. Gosh. It felt AMAZING. I literally wanted to make-out with the guy. After 29 hours of labor being drugged was awesome. I felt like a quitter for asking for the drugs, but since the midwife was going to give me pitocin anyway I figured what the hell. Two hours later I was checked and I had dilated to an 8. Two minutes after that I felt the urge to push, and a little under 30 minutes later our daughter was born. Easy peasy, right?
So here is what a Tickner baby looks like on the outside of the womb.
She loves it when the flash goes off in her face.

I think I'll do that again someday.
For Sara: STATS
Born at 9:56am 8/7/08
weight: 6 lbs. 4.5 ounces
length: 21 inches...or it may have been 20 inches. I think it was 20 inches...bah, I'm not good with details.
And her cry sounded like a cat's meow.
31 comments:
Okay, don't feel like a quiter for getting an epidural. I still wish I'd requested it earlier with Isaac so I wouldn't be still having nightmares of my off the charts contractions that never stopped until the little bugger finally fell out. I think you're awesome! For everything and for all your hard work.
And by the way. . . your baby is just gorgeous and I am so happy for you! You'll have to let me take pictures of her when you guys come out.
Congratulations KT and Warren!
Katie, she is so cute...I can't get over the last picture.
She sure is a cutie! You are Wonder Woman! For some reason I am tearing up, thinking about dancing in the kitchen with you. Now your a mommy! Welcome to the club. :)
Katie, she is soooo cute! I want to eat her. That phrase is a bit creepy, but I mean it! She has such a distinct look and I love love love all her hair. Hair makes babies even cuter. I will definitely have to call you wonder- woman for going through 29 hours of unmedicated labor. Go Katie. And isn't it the biggest rush as soon as that little person comes out? Congratulations, you did it!
A quitter...are you JOKING me?! Don't you dare feel like a quitter...I felt exactly the same way you did when that epidural came. It was heaven on earth I tell you. Congratulations on the sweet baby. I love all of her dark hair! Does baby Tickner have a name?
She is ADORABLE, what a head of hair!
I love your birth story because you were in charge. Way to go!
Gorgeous. :)
We are so so so happy for you guys. Sadie #1 had a cold last week but she has been over it for a good week days now so I am hoping we can come see you soon (if you don't mind). The baby is adorable! She's such a little Warren.
She's so beautiful! You are going to have a great time with all that hair.
Please, for the love of all things holy, stay away from the giant gerber daisies on her head. I don't understand.
She is a DOLL!! She looks like she's very alert! And she has TONS of hair...so cute! You and Warren did good! You are in for the BEST ride of your life! I can't believe you're a mommy! I am loving the 2-3 month time because Jonah's little personality is starting to bloom...he giggles and is so much fun to play with! My advice: Enjoy every stage that Sadie goes through because like you said they grow up so fast! Congratulations!
OMG! She's so stinkin' cute! I LOVE that last picture of her. What a face! I bet your mom is just LOVING her to death! YEAH for the Tickners! Ready to have another?
we are so, SO thrilled for you guys. she's a doll and i can't believe how much hair she has. and puhlease! if you say you are a quitter one more time i might have to punch you in the face.
hopefully we'll get to meet her soon! GOOD JOB WARandKT!
Hooray! What's her name? How much did she weigh? Are you SOOOo in love with her? I am. I'm super excited for you guys. I wanna meet her. Email me her stats right now dammit.
WAY TO GO!! She is beautiful and you are a champ.
She's beautiful! Congratulations. I especially liked that you would do it again. It gives me hope that someday I can have a child and not want to kill myself afterwards. Good luck new Mommy, you are going to do great!!
Wow that's a lot of hair! And normally I think newborns are ugly, but she's really cute! aww....
Congratulations! I've been checking your blog everyday since your last post, except for the past 2 days because I've been in bed sick with the flu. But, she's DARLING! Give her a hug and kiss for me. And you are not a quitter for getting the epidural. Whatever gets the baby there healthy and you happy, right? Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!
Geez I don't get on for a couple of days and you post the pictures. I feel a little behind. She is a doll! And has so much hair. I think she looks like Warren, but I think that is because of her dark hair. Congrats again and thanks for posting pictures of her.
Thanks for the pics and the story. She is soooo cute. Where did the hair come from?
Keep staring!
good job. not like it matters, but you have my permission to reproduce at your leisure from now on.
Man you are such a quitter. Everyone keeps telling you you aren't but I think you are--QUITTER!!! J/K never given birth but I hear it's not pleasant. Way to go, I am definitely getting an epi when I deliver. Love the name, I know you told me months ago but still love it. I think she looks a lot like you Johnsons but I guess I can see a little Warren in her. Well congrats and now good luck. P.S. In oregon right now and my mom would like to know if you were affected by the hurricane/tropical storm? Hope all is well and that you are enjoying your mama being there!
Testing.
Wow, I feel like the worst cousin ever because i haven't called, texted or even blogged congrats....but we have been out of technology services for about 2 weeks now. I am back and am definitely going to call you!!! CONGRATS!!!! I have a lot of questions......
Congrats! I always knew you would have cute little fraggles. Now stop scaring this one with the flash... No, wait. Keep doing it because I love looking at that picture.
After Ruby was born every day seemed like a new milestone, and I was amazed over and over again that this person grew inside of me and was finally here. Enjoy the beauty of this wonderful these first days and weeks. There is nothing like them and they pass so quickly, they really do. I know you won't believe me when you are deliriously trying to survive on zero sleep, but it's true. I am so excited for you, and by the way, nice work.
One side note: Is your baby really sleeping on satin sheets? C'mon....
Katie, you comment on my blog about Florida almost made me choke on my fry. Hilarious.
And I have to say that I'm honored that you're reading my blog still, and not SSB. :)
She's your identical twin! She's so sweet and look at all that hair! I am so excited for you guys! I'll be honest, it'll be interesting to see you play that motherly role- :) More pictures please!!!!!!
I wanted to check in and I'm so happy to see that you had your beautiful girl. I also had leaking and it took them forever to get a positive test for fluid. There is no shame in asking for the epidural. I felt like a quitter for asking for mine (and I didn't labor for nearly as long as you did) but it's hard to put up with that pain when labor isn't progressing.
I am so happy she was born healthy and happy. She is beautiful. And I love the picture of the flash...too cute.
Best wishes!
Melissa
Congrats! She's a cutie-pants McGee!!!
So... um... you going to update this thing ever?!? We could really use some new pictures!
I hope you'll do that again someday if you make babies THAT CUTE.
Congrats! We want to see more photos!
Post a Comment