We've been sick the entire Christmas vacation. Sadie had barely recovered from her RSV when she got an ear infection in both ears. Warren also came down with a cough and still hasn't recovered. Wednesday night Sadie woke up wheezing and with a bad cough, so we finally decided to take her into the Urgent Care on Thursday. I was hoping to avoid taking her in while we were in Oregon because our insurance is crap and if we go out of our network we have to pay out of pocket. Boo. Warren also went in because he had been coughing for two weeks and wasn't getting any better. They were both diagnosed with ear infections in both ears, and Warren had bronchitis on top of that. We spent $112 on prescriptions for the both of them, plus our little visit will cost us another $500 (or more). Happy freaking New Year. The next day Warren became so sick he couldn't get out of bed or keep anything down. Two of his three prescriptions said nausea was a side effect--one also included vomiting, but the other said to call the doctor if he started to throw up. I finally called the doctor that afternoon because Warren wasn't keeping anything down. When the nurse called back she told us to go to St. Vincent's Hospital in Portland. After several tests, a cat scan, and two bags of liquids, Warren was told he now has a severe sinus infection on top of the ear infections and bronchitis. He was then given three different prescriptions because the doctor thinks he may have had a reaction to the ones from the day before. Bonus.
I am horrible at dealing with sickness because I tend to assume the worst. A cough = pneumonia, headache = brain tumor, bloody nose = brain cancer, side ache = appendicitis, heartburn = heart attack (obviously), etc, etc. Basically, I haven't slept in weeks. Even though I know my neighbor didn't mean to bring her sick daughter over and get us all sick, I can't help but be a little mad at her for acting so blase about her child's cough. Especially when I found out her daughter had RSV. Pretty sure this particular neighbor has lost answering the door when she comes over privileges. At least until my family is better, plus the amount of weeks we were sick, and then maybe a couple additional months for the annoyance of us all being sick over Christmas break.
On a lighter note, here are a few pictures of Christmas morning.
Now please excuse me, it's time to suck snot out of Sadie's nose and clean out the barf bucket.
14 comments:
I always assume the worst too! In fact, I sometimes get minor upper back pain that is actually associated with heartburn. A couple weeks ago, it was TERRIBLE. It kept me up all night, and I just knew I had back cancer.
Yeah, apparently I don't.
Oh, and I hope everyone starts feeling better soon!!
She's too cute! Where does she get all this hair from?
And I also assume the worst. My sister and I just thought it was because our brother had a brain tumor when we were little, but apparently, everyone assumes the worst!
I'm sorry everyone was sick! I'm already petitioning for "Worst Christmas Break Ever." Do you want to join in?
i recommend you to check out the eardoc for the ear infection before taking antibiotics or taking an ear tube surgery.,
the eardoc is a non invasive device that opens the ear tube and drains the trapped fluids naturally,
I'm so sorry to hear that you have all been sick. Get feeling better! I am just like you, always assuming the worst. Lord help me when I am a mother. Ha ha ... I do have to say again, your baby is the cutest. I wish I could see her in person. Regardless of the craziness, I hope you had a Merry Christmas. Loves!
How AWFUL! It sounds like you all have been through the wringer! I hope you are starting to feel better and that you get a break in the cold/illness department.
I hate medical bills the most, I think. It's not like you can't take your vomit spewing husband to the ER or get your daughters prescriptons filled. Yet I always feel raped after getting the bills. My insurance was terrible (and I worked in Healthcare, go figure)...I think we paid about $4500 out of pocket last year for my pregnancy and Isla's early medical problems. That was after a $600 deductible. But don't get me started on insurance...
Anyways, I love the pictures of your daughter...especially the wrapping paper one. And it looks like you made it to Portland during the crazy snow storm...Seattle wasn't much different at Christmas.
CUTE Christmas pics, wow a WHITE Christmas, lucky!!
wow. that sucks. like really, really bad. but at least you met your deductible right? that means
'09 should be a little less stressful, maybe?
i love sadie in the wrapping paper. so cuuuuute.
feel better peeps.
I'm with Kamie on this one. Then again, I've made it perfectly clear what a germaphobe I am when I have a baby in the house, so - big surprise. Anyway, for all the garbage you've been through I would revoke visiting rights forever if I were in your shoes - but I'm a lot less forgiving. Either way, you showed much more courtesy than your neighbor by warning me so my baby wouldn't get it. Thanks for sparing us another cold - I'm sorry I didn't get to see you but I'll give you a free photo shoot next time you're out here as a thank you!
So pretty much after I have my baby, my house is going to be quarantined and people are going to have to get a physical before they can come over....2 years ago we were in Hawaii and Russ got so sick that my dad had to take him to the ER on Christmas.....yep a really horrible sinus infection...
I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to call you, Kylie still wasn't feeling well. I'm glad we got to go to dinner though and I really want you to move back. I LOVE Sadie and she is so freakin' cute!
Katie - how the heck are you? Did you make it home safely? I heard about your new calling....VERY exciting!
Hey! your parents' living room looks great! I love the walls and the chair. How fun to see them. And of course Sadie is absolutely darling, darling, darling. I'm SO sorry about all the sickness. Having a sick baby is about the worst thing ever. I started paying my kids so they wouldn't get sick anymore. It works! Just tell her you'll give her $1 to stay healthy (that's a lot to a baby) and she won't get sick again. Well, until she finds out that $1 isn't that much. And, by the way, what's your new calling? I want to know and be excited too!
Post a Comment