Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Sorry I Made You Drink Pedialyte

Ahhh, my baby is finally asleep. Today has been one of those days, actually my first since motherhood, where I've been so tired that even pavement looks like a comfortable place to rest my head. A couple months ago Little T caught a cold and I felt like a champion mother because I was able to clear her nose and keep her happy. Two months ago I felt like I could handle this motherhood gig. Today I sat by the door and cried until Warren came home to rescue me. Little T has RSV plus an ear infection. She's not a happy camper, and somewhere between breathing treatments, antibiotics, and sucking out snot I sort-of had a bit of a melt down. Just a bit. I'm not quite sure what's worse for her-the RSV or having a complete anxiety case as a mother. Every two minutes I'm either undressing the poor baby to make sure she's breathing okay, or sticking a thermometer up her rectum, or shoving a blue sucker up her nose. It gets better, right? I'll become more rational the more I get used to this? OH, PLEASE SAY YES.

How do you parents do it? I read your blogs; I know you can manage multiple children, jobs, cooking, blogging, even fashion. Every time I run to the shop wearing slippers I think of how disgusted Azucar would be. I'm not going to lie, I was an offender of the occasional sweatpants grocery shop pre-child, but the occasional offense is now basically everyday. A nightmare of mine is to be stopped by Stacy London and Clinton Kelly from What Not To Wear-not because free clothes wouldn't be nice, but because I'd KNOW they'd been following me around for several days, and I'm really not comfortable with the world knowing exactly how much Neil Diamond I listen to when I'm alone.

My point: you parents are awesome, and if I didn't live so far away from my own mom I'd give her a big hug right about now to thank her for all those sleepless nights she took to suck snot out of my nose.

16 comments:

Kristina P. said...

WEll, you're lucky because I don't know where you live. But if I did, Stacey and Clinton would be at your door, with a camera in your face. :)

a loose seal said...

So sorry to hear she's sick...poor girl. Sick babies are never fun. My daughter got a UTI when she was 1 month and I thought I was going to the looney bin. Her next cold after that was another horrible experience. I was terrified that she wouldn't be able to breathe and also used that awful bulb thingy a million times. It sucked. But I got through it...not gracefully, but hey, we survived. And you will, too!

As for the whole sweatpants/fashion thing...I don't have any advice since I have turned into the homeless looking mother that was my worst nightmare a few years ago.

Ryan and Tawnee said...

Yeah it gets better but then you will have another thing come along and knock you on your butt. So it gets better then sucks again then gets better again and then sucks agian. The great part about motherhood is when it's better it is soo wonderful it makes up for the sucky part and thats what makes you want more kids. The great parts are so worth it. Hang in there little Mommy! She'll get better and someday you will use these times as guilt inducers for her to listen to you.

Dads(2) said...

I'm sorry to hear the cutest baby in the world is sick . . poor thing. It's so hard when they're sick and that young1 I hope all is okay . . . sending good thoughts your way!

gurrbonzo said...

Any mom who claims she doesn't have the occasional meltdown is full of shit. You are the best and you can do it. I am great at pep talks so let me know if you need more of this.

Mandy said...

KT I am so so sorry to hear about what you are experiencing but remember this... WE HAVE ALL DONE IT TONS OF TIMES... sometimes it gets easier and sometimes it gets harder. I truly truly resent any type of illnesses out there. I am petrified of them.. when my kids are sick, it's that much harder as a mom to survive. I feel like we are passing really bad illnesses back and forth for months now. I can't get out another humidifiar. Everytime I put it away, I need to get it back out. It is SO frustrating...But you are doing great and soon it will pass and you can enjoy your little baby with her fun personality and you will get some sleep... just try to make it through the hard moments!

Wendyburd1 said...

Poor kid, and poor you, sounds understandable though! And remember, these Moms have YEARS of experience on you!!

Carina said...

Oh, I have meltdowns all the time.

(I'm not usually wearing slippers is all.)



It's terrible when they're sick and so little, it breaks your heart.

Oh, and this has a good section on nursing while baby is sick or congested.

Carina said...

p.s. my theory is that someone always has one area where they always have it together, and another area where they are a disaster.

Yes, I can dress myself. No, I cannot do laundry or keep much of anything clean.

Justin & Kamie said...

Poor Sadie :( I am so scared that Mattox will get RSV. The fear alone has kept me in the house for the past 7 days straight.

Also, you live in Florida, right? Sooooo doesn't everyone wear sweatpants there, like, all the time? I am sure you fit right in :)

rychelle said...

poor sadie. poor you.

i'm asking stacey and clinton to head south and find the lady in walgreens wearing sweat pants. i hope they pick you.

Ashley said...

I give you an electronic hug for being a good mom.

Leslie said...

It gets better. Isn't it great how being parents ourselves gives us a new appreciation of our own parents?

lisset said...

rsv is a biiiiitch. sorry to hear that little T is under the weather. hopefully it will pass soon and you'll look back on this and applaud yourself for getting through. and besides? what's life without the occasional meltdown, anyways?

Lindsey said...

Oh KT darling, it only gets crazier...lol. Just do the best you can and accept the meltdowns when they come. It's the only way to cope with it all. The best things in life are also the most exhausting things in life. Love you!

Unknown said...

PJ's and the store were meant to go together... I wear them there all of the time... that is how I survive! ;-)