Yesterday I started to panic over the thought have HAVING A BABY. Not necessarily the labor part so much (I'm blocking that out), but actually having a baby in our home and the whole responsibility for another life deal. The thing is, I'm domestically broken. There isn't a single bone/vein/atom/whatever in my body that is domestic (except for my OCD over having a clean bathtub). The only time I have ever thought about being bothered by it is when someone has looked at me funny for saying something like, "I'm not going to make it to recipe exchange tonight because I don't know how to cook, and since my husband and I don't really like to eat much, I'm not motivated to learn." My mother and my mother-in-law have graciously tried to show me how to cook, but I tune out every time. Warren's sister bought us this snazzy steamer dealio and my mother-in-law showed me how to use it while she was here. Guess what happened to that steamer when she left. It went right back in the box and is now collecting dust in my cupboard along with my bread maker, George Foreman grill, various rice cookers, slow cookers, blenders, and any other kitchen appliance which requires a plug.
But, it's much worse than me not knowing how to cook. My domestic ineptness runs much, much deeper than that.
Example #1: Before I was engaged I could care less about weddings, or thinking about my future wedding, or dreaming about what I wanted, etc. When I went to sleep at night I dreamt about what next adventure I would go on, which country I would buy my next ticket to, what I was going to change my major to next. I always assumed that when or if I did get engaged I would care then. But, I didn't. Sure, once I was engaged I tried here and there to plan my wedding, but I was so bad at details it didn't take me long to give up. I never even looked at a bridal magazine. My mother and my mother-in-law planned to whole thing. My mother-in-law is fantastic with details. She would send me e-mails with spread sheets on everything she had done and what still needed to be done, and I didn't even read them. It got to the point where I would just respond to her with "looks great!" and have no idea what I had just agreed to. My husband picked the music; my sister-in-law picked out the fabric for the bridesmaid dresses, and the colors in those bridesmaid dresses ended up being my wedding colors; my mom did the table settings, designed my invitations, addressed them, mailed them, and did whatever else she could do in Oregon to plan a wedding in South Africa; my mother-in-law did the flowers, the cake, the bouquet, and the...everything else. The only thing I did for my wedding was pick out a wedding dress, and only because my mom told me I had to because she wanted the whole mother/daughter/try on wedding dresses experience. Warren and I joke that the theme for our wedding was "Duck, Dodge, and Delegate." WHAT GIRL DOESN'T CARE ABOUT HER OWN WEDDING?! This girl. This girl didn't. I cared about who I married and the rest didn't matter much.
Example #2: I've never been much of a decorator. My friend, Emily, pointed this out to me in high school when she asked me why I still had a picture of myself as a baby hanging up in my bedroom. This was the first time it had occurred to me that maybe that picture didn't just go there. Maybe I had the choice to take it down and hang something else up. Like garbage. Everyone would tell me that when I got my own house I would change; that suddenly I would care about decorating and start reading magazines to get ideas, and that it would all magically come to me. As if my domestic side was waiting to scratch its way out and all I had to do was buy a house. Well, we have a house now and guess what. No pictures on the walls. Warren picked out our couches, and as much as he tried to involve me in the process I still didn't care. We only have couches in our family room, our living room is empty and it doesn't bother me. An empty room for me is like a big playroom I can build a fort in! We still use plastic containers for dressers, we haven't bought overhead lights yet, which means our only form of lighting once it gets dark are $7 lamps from Wal-Mart we bought as a "band aid solution" until we found something we liked. We've owned this house almost six months now and the idea of going into Home Depot to pick out lighting is soooo uninteresting to me I could fall asleep right here in my chair. When my mom came out to help us get settled she kept trying to get me to buy a plant, or a picture, or a cute bathroom rug, or "ANYTHING FOR YOUR HOUSE, KT," but I was either too cheap or more interested in gummy worms. When she left we still had done nothing. Sure, I made up the excuse that I wasn't feeling well, or we didn't need it right now, or that I would do it later, but the truth is, I just didn't care. And thinking about everything we had to do, all the details, and what to hang where, and having to water a plant was too much stress when all I wanted to do at that moment was eat my gummy worms. So, here we are, four months after my mom left and our house still has nothing hanging on the walls and empty rooms. Neither Warren nor I seemed to be bothered.
Example #3: I never thought about being a mother. I never thought about my future kids, or picked out baby names, or talked about how many I wanted, or lingered in the baby section at Target. Instead Warren and I talked about living in Australia for a few years, in fact, we were going to start the immigration paper work this past Jan. (sorry, Mom). I had just landed this sweet job with Edward Jones and I wanted to take trips to the Caribbean and play with all our money and no kids. But all that changed when we found out I was pregnant. Not that I wasn't excited to be pregnant, but motherhood was simply not something I longed for. I know, terrible isn't it? Everyone told me that once I was pregnant it would change, that I would start "nesting," or whatever. Well, I'm almost seven months pregnant and guess what. I still don't dally in the baby sections, our "baby" room is empty, my mom, in-laws and sister-in-law have bought more for this baby than I have. I went to Babies R Us and about lost it in the isle because I was so overwhelmed with all the baby junk. I haven't read the pregnancy books, or any books on babies, I don't even know any nursery rhymes! I tried to remember the story of the Three Little Pigs, but I couldn't! WHAT HAPPENS TO THOSE DAMN PIGS?!
Which brings me to my anxiety attack yesterday. The cooking, the house, the wedding--none of that really matters. But, the BABY? SHE matters. I have no idea how to be a mom, or what I need to do, or how to change a diaper, or where to buy diapers, or if I should use cloth diapers, or how to prevent butt-rashes, or how to make her room all cute, or what toys to buy, or how to child-proof my house, or what babies do, or how to bath her, or nurse. What if I can't do it? What if I go crazy? What if I hate being a mom? Nothing else I have done up to this point has seemed as scary as what I'm about to do in three months (and I've jumped in a freaking shark cage for hells sake). But, for the first time in my life I care about figuring it out. The more pregnant I become the more like I mom I begin to feel. The less I care about my career, the more I am willing to sacrifice financially to stay home, the more important this little girl becomes. She's not even born yet, but there is nothing, NOTHING I would rather do than fix all my domestic flaws for this little life who is currently giving me heartburn.
(Warren said that I sound like I'm not interested in marriage, so I felt like I needed to clarify. WHO I married was very important to me. Warren--you know I love you and that you are my life, and that sometimes when you ask me why I'm crying before I go to sleep it's because I'm thinking about how much I love you and how my life is better than I could have ever expected because of you. Now, quit being sad over the fact that I have yet to frame a single wedding photo and go eat your pre-prepared grocery store meal from Winn-Dixie.)
15 comments:
You will learn as you go, I promise!!! Your domestic will come after she does.
OH MY GOSH I LOVE LOST!!! Colten and I would stay up all night when I was pregnant with Gwyn watching the first few seasons. Did you and Warren just start watching it?
Fantastic post. And guess what KT. You will figure it out. Although you aren't domestic and didn't care about flower arangements or don't give a lick about paint color. You care and work your ass off when it is important. That is it. You will work you ass off at being an awesome mom. I have no doubt :)
p.s. Since I DO read pregnancy books I have learned that bad indigestion during the last trimester is correlated with your baby having hair. Let's just hope the hair is on your babies head and not on her back. HAHA
Relax, relax, relax. You will be great! I got the best advice ever when I told someone I didn't "get" babies...she said "You don't have to get ALL babies, you just have to get THIS baby." You already get her and you will love her and you will learn as you go. Just read a damn book and go to your childbirth class and you'll feel better. I am so excited for you I could pee my pants...in fact, I may have just done that.
Guess what? Jason and I just put up our first picture a month ago. And I think the most important part about getting married is who you're marrying. Since Jason and I were on our own to plan our wedding, it became as simple as possible. And being domestic is in the eye of the beholder. I know that in a way, all women long to be a Martha Stewart type which is ridiculous. My advice: Take it a day at a time. As long as you're prayerful, Heavenly Father will help you be the mother that He needs you to be. Your little girl is lucky to have you and she will love you regardless, so give yourself a break and relax. And feel free to call me if you need to breakdown and vent.
Here is the thing... It doesnt matter how prepared or unprepared anyone thinks they are, once that tiny thing comes you have a moment (or a few moments) of freaking out, but then you realize you love that little thing more than you realized even possible, and you figure out what works for you. You dont have to be an awesome cook or decorator to be a good mother. You simply just have to love her. The rest will work its self out.
I don't think you can prepare. Honestly. Not in a bad way, but in a way that every baby is different, every parent is different- I mean you can ask people who know and trust how they did it... but the fact is that once she gets here, you'll have this "mom gut" that I totally believe in and you'll know what she needs (or at least who to ask!) and you'll be great! Parenthood is hard because there are no answers, no books that really tell you what it's like and no one who can do it for you. But it's also AMAZING for those same reasons. And once she gets here, you'll want to name her something you love, want to dress her up cute and love her and well, the rest doesn't really matter. It will come.
And by the way, we moved almost a year ago and have just started decorating. I love to do it, just haven't bothered. We also have an empty room that my kids have dubbed "the pillar room" that's sole purpose is stretching before we run and the girls running laps and tying things to those dang pillars. So, don't feel bad. It's life. Isn't it great?!? :)
Can't wait to see this little girl! I'm sure there are more anxiety attacks ahead- but that means you're a good mom! Hang in there!!!
I don't have any advice for you. I don't know what you are going through. Sorry but good luck, I'm sure you will figure it out but thanks for being funny for my enjoyment. I always look forward to reading your blog. Can't wait to see the new little one!
Well KT, besides the pregnant part I am in the same boat. I know nothing about kids, I don't really even like them that much, but I want to have one more than anything and be a good mom. Let me know what you find out. :)
You need to know one thing that I learned was this....
First of all, I was never a huge kid lover. I couldn't see myself ever being a mom. I wasn't domestic at all! Didn't cook nothing! I just was all about me. So I understand that part.. but the minute that baby is in your arms, things do come naturally. You will have plenty of questions to ask but try to stay calm. I had really bad postpartum, but if I could take it back, I would have relaxed about so much more. It doesn't have to go perfect. It's a journey.. the babies don't have handbooks and the advice you get from everyone doesn't always work in each child. So take your time.. enjoy this baby to pieces and this unconditional love will come naturally.. it may take time, but it will come. You don't have to all of the sudden be a perfect mother and wife... we are who we are, and we try our best.. some times are better than others PERIOD. Expect motherhood to be hard, but you do get used to it and at some point you could never imagine it any other way.
Girl, you need to RELAX! It really isn't that hard and you have been around enough kids that you will know what to do. Trust me! And yes we will be coming out there next summer. I'm pretty sure of that.
Great advice and comments all around. I can tell you that although I'm "domestic" in some ways, I'm really far from it in others like the decorating thing and the wedding thing just as an example. My wedding sounds very similar to yours. I just went with what every one else told me and on my wedding day and the day before when everyone was decorating the cultural hall, I went to the beach and then I went to Burgerville. I think I took a nap too.
The thing is, a baby is a totally different thing. Seth and I were just talking the other day about how nothing prepared us for how much we would absolutely adore our bratty little boys the moment they were born and even though Seth had never changed a diaper and he had no clue what to do with a baby, it all came naturally to him and me. There will be tons of questions and moments of concern but that's normal. I'm STILL calling around for advice when it comes to my kids. However, the most important thing is, I love them so deeply I would easily give my life for them. That feeling honestly movtivates the amazing ability to take care of them in a way you can never expect.
Oh KT you make me laugh. I think anxiety attacks occur naturally and spontaneously with pregnancy. It's those CRAPPY pregnancy hormones. You'll be a great mom. Don't stress. Just take it one day at a time. I really think a lot of parenting is just common sense and I know you have plenty of that!
I think this was sweet! You'll figure it out and you will be AMAZED at what these little ones do to your life. You're amazing,and will be amazing at this next adventure you're taking! Believe me...there are plenty of people around just waiting to give advice too. :) You're awesome!
I never liked kids, couldn't give a fig for babies. My childless-self thoughts of being a mother: sounds boring.
And then I had a kid.
Hey! This is fun!
Post a Comment